Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Controlling Emotions VS. Being A Pushover

My mind doing what it does best...run wild, I thought about the difference between controlling your emotions and being a pushover. It's really hard when you feel you are being taken advantage of, tested or disrespected but you don't have the desire to jump off the deep end. So I posed the question on twitter and I got two interesting responses...

Lillian:
its a fine line..because people tend to mistake your control 4 weakness which for some reason gives them a green light to push your buttons. As long as you're comfortable with who you are, people trying to push u to the limit won't make u question your strength or maturity but...rather prove that they have an issue, not you.

DeJonte:
a pushover~ is sumone easily defeated...your emotions such as joy, sorrow, fear, love, hate are how YOU feel.. NO ONE can change that!

I thought those were a couple good ways to look at it...there is nothing wrong with being a nice person, being vulnerable (which exudes strength) and not taking everything personal. But when you feel you have had enough, it is up to you to walk away and do it with pride knowing you did everything you could in the situation and you still have your dignity because all a person can do is respect someone for moving away from something that isn't making them happy or could potentially take them out of character.


1 comment:

  1. I know I am mad late son....but I just want to tell you how much of an inspiration that you are and have been to me. For a person, whom I always assumed to be a closed book, to open her-self up and share her thoughts and opinions in such an intelligent way, is very strong!! I luv that inner strength that u have and your non-arrogant approach to life. Your modesty is what draws people to you. However like a Sunday sermon at church... this very piece spoke personally to me. Thank you.

    Peace&Love
    Nish

    ReplyDelete