Friday, August 30, 2013

August 28th: 50th Anniversary of MLK March On Washington


I'm sooo glad I was able to be apart of history and be apart of it with my family!  My boo was at work so he missed out but he was definitely there in spirit lol  The festivities were really nice and inspiring despite the little bit of rain we endured throughout the day.  I was so glad I was able to hear the 3 presidents speak as well as Dr King's son and sister.  Everyone was really nice, we even met some new folks from New Jersey and we felt like we had known them for years.  It was just amazing to me how 50 years later Dr King's dream was realized in some aspects especially that a black president was speaking on the milestone anniversary of his Dream speech.  Like many menitoned that day, we clearly have a ways to go but we have seen progress and we just have to stay on top of the younger generation to not digress.  Things are slowloy looking like they are going backwards from the lack of enthusiasm, discipline and drive that some of the youth display, the Trayvon Martin Case definitely showed that we are still fighting for equal rights and they have just gotten a little more savy with the way they discriminate.  But if we band together and show them we are serious we can make progress and realize Dr King's FULL dream!  My father was out there looking SHARP representing for the men in his suit.  I saw a picture on FB where it had Dr King and all the other leaders of his time marching 50 years ago in their suits and the caption was "when they took us seriously" then the picture below was the youth of today with their pants hanging down showing boxers and ass with the caption reading "why they don't take us seriously now"....so my Dad being in his suit was definitely making a statement.  I had a great time and there were all different races, religions, age groups united for the same cause! 









No comments:

Post a Comment